UBC requires that all international students have basic and extended health insurance for the duration of their studies, as the costs of hospital and doctor care in Canada are extremely high if you are not insured. As a condition of registering for classes, you were automatically enrolled in iMED Health Insurance for New International Students, which is provided through David Cummings Insurance Services Ltd. (DCIS).



To activate your iMED coverage you MUST confirm your date of arrival in BC/CANADA. Complete the Arrival Date Confirmation Form within the three weeks prior to your date of travel to Canada/BC, or no later than three weeks after your date of arrival.

Coverage Dates

Read About:

Family Members

If you have a spouse/partner and/or dependent children who will reside with, or visit you during your study term, you may purchase iMED coverage for them.
See the Family Members page

Opting Out

Some students are eligible to Opt Out of the iMED Health Insurance Plan. See the Opting Out page.

Advance Coverage

Some students will arrive in Canada before the start date for their iMED coverage. You may purchase the Advance Coverage you need for the gap between your arrival date and your iMED start date. If you are unsure of your iMED start date, visit the Coverage Dates page.

Extend iMED

Some students may need to extend their iMED coverage. See the Extend iMED page.

opens external website in a new window

Only New International Students are enrolled on the iMED Plan. UBC students and affiliates who need interim health insurance, but who do not qualify for iMED, may purchase the Global Campus Health Plan which offers top quality coverage similar to iMED. For example, this plan is available to returning international students (those who have been registered at UBC in previous calendar years) and to Canadian students paying domestic student fees who are newly arrived to BC from overseas.

For more information, please see the Insurance and Health Care section of the
UBC International Student Handbook.

If you have questions, you can also contact an International Student Advisor